We recently saw an article about an ex-burglar who shared some of his secrets to identifying and getting into home. Home burglaries may seem random in occurrence, but they actually involve a selection process. A burglar's selection process is simple; choose an unoccupied home with the easiest access, the greatest amount of cover, and with the best escape routes possible.
Interesting Home Safety Facts
- Most burglars enter through an unlocked door; usually the front door.
- Burglars prefer to work during the day, when no one is home.
- Burglars do not want to get caught, so homes with security systems are less likely to get broken into.
- Professional criminals will watch your home. If they see old newspapers piled up they assume you are gone.
- Yard equipment left around makes good tools to get into a home.
- Burglars love privacy fences and lots of shrubs around the home.
- Some external door hinges can be removed in as little as 30 seconds.
- Get a central station alarm system.
- Keep your yard clean and trees and shrubs trimmed.
- If you go on vacation, stop the paper and garbage.
- If you can, have your calls forwarded while you're away. Burglars sometimes call to see if anyone is home before a break-in.
- Tell a neighbor your plans and have them keep an eye out.
- Use timers for your inside lights and even for your TV.
- Always park your car in the garage with the garage door closed when you are there. That way someone watching for patterns won't know your car isn't there when you're gone.
- Secure your sliding glass door by adding auxiliary patio door locks or installing screws into the track above the sliding door frame to keep the door from being lifted off the track.
Protect what matters most to you with Car, Home, Health, Life & Business insurance. We offer the best combination of competitive rates, coverage and personal service in Lake Forest.
Get a Fast Free Online Quote. We have great rates! Commercial Auto Insurance, Contractors Insurance & General Liability Insurance.